Physical Ability Element – Phase I: Pack Test
This is a 3 mile arduous walk with a 45 pound vest supplied by the BCFD training division. The test must be completed in 45 minutes and 45 seconds in order to proceed through the next phase of the physical ability testing. Applicants will not be able to use their own packs. The test is timed by two stop watches and conducted on the asphalt trail specified by the Training Division. This test may be performed in shorts and a T-shirt.
Physical Ability Element – Phase II: Combat Challenge
This test must be completed within 6 minutes and 30 seconds. The agility test is timed by two stop watches and conducted by two or more training personnel. This event will take place at a designated training tower. The applicant will be provided a bunker coat, helmet and SCBA. Applicants must wear long pants and have their own leather-type work gloves.
· Applicant will place 100’ of 1 ¾” high rise pack on either shoulder and ascend the stairs of the tower to the designated floor. Applicant will then place the pack in the painted box on the floor.
· Applicant proceeds to the designated area of the building where they will grasp a 50’ rope and haul a 2 1/2” roll of hose from the ground, up and over the railing.
· Applicant will then descend the stairs to the ground floor without skipping any stairs and proceeds to the Keiser ™ sled where they grasp the mallet and position themselves on the platform where they will begin a chopping motion driving the sled to the other end of the platform. Applicant will be signaled by training personnel when they have completed the evolution.
· Applicant will then proceed through a serpentine of cones where they will follow arrows approx 100’.
· Applicant will then grasp the nozzle of a 100’ charged 1 ¾” structural hose line and advance the hose to the painted line (approx 100’) and place the nozzle in the painted box.
· Applicant will then proceed to the 165 pound mannequin where they will grasp and drag 100’ to the finish line. Applicant is not permitted to use any fastening devices or mechanical advantages to move the mannequin, i.e. (webbing, rope etc.) Phase II of the physical agility test will end when the mannequin completely crosses the finish line or time has expired.
Any equipment malfunction during testing will automatically stop the clock. The training division personnel can stop an applicant at anytime for unsafe practice or safety hazards during testing. All testing will be monitored by a safety officer and EMS provider.
Physical Ability Element – Phase III: Aerial Ladder Climb
This test will not be timed. Applicants will be provided with bunker coat, SCBA, type II ladder harness and helmet. Applicants must wear long pants and have their own leather-type work gloves.
· Applicant will proceed to the Aerial Ladder where training division personnel will perform a safety check and attach a belay line to the applicants harness and give instructions on the task.
· Applicant, when instructed; will ascend to the top of the aerial ladder and lock into a rung using the ladder hook provided on the harness.
· Applicant will then look down at the training division personnel and verbally identify the item they are pointing to.
· Training division personnel will signal the applicant to descend the Aerial Ladder; once the applicant completes the descent, training personnel will remove the belay line. All physical testing will be completed