Joe Crelier, ARM
Risk Management Director
The Risk Management Department is part of the Finance Division, headed by Teresa Byrd, Deputy County Manager for Finance. The management of the Department is provided by Joe Crelier, Risk Management Director.
The staff of the Bernalillo County Risk Management Department
· Identify risks and exposures due to injury, liabilities and physical losses.
· They procure and maintain insurance coverage for over a half a billion dollars worth of taxpayer assets.
· Provide claim management services to control the cost of claims and insurance premiums that affect the financial liabilities of Bernalillo County.
· Reviews contracts and proposals for adequate insurance requirements.
· Reviews Board of County Commissioners agenda items for liability issues.
· Implement loss control and prevention programs.
· Evaluates County department buildings and programs for loss control concerns.
Risk Management is authorized by the Department of Labor to provide OSHA Outreach Training for County employees, giving them the opportunity to earn a 10 hour completion card in Construction or General Industry standards. The staff also provides OSHA training for regulated topics such as:
· Hazard communication
· Blood-borne pathogens
· Forklift operations
· Respiratory protection
· Other general topics such as office safety, injury prevention, safety responsibility and more.
Risk Management is also an authorized provider of the National Safety Council DDC-4 Defensive Driver Course for County employees. This allows the Department to review the driver’s license status of each County driver on a monthly basis.
The Department administers and enforces safety policies and procedures throughout the County Departments and Facilities. They provide effort and activities to help reduce and eliminate injuries and losses by promoting safety culture principles such as accountability and employee empowerment for solutions.
Through Risk Management, Bernalillo County:
· Is a member of the New Mexico Association of Counties self insurance pool for Workers’ Compensation, Multiline Coverage and Law Enforcement Liability.
· Maintains financial equity in the three insurance pools; with low claim costs Bernalillo County receives a return of equity in the form of cash to the general fund or as a discount on the follow years premium costs.
· Hold voting memberships on the NMAC insurance pool boards.