HOW DO I REGISTER TO VOTE
You may register to vote if you are:
· A resident of New Mexico
· A citizen of the United States
· Eighteen years old or older at the time of the next election
· Not legally declared mentally incapacitated
· Not a convicted felon, or a felon who has completed all of the terms
and conditions of sentencing
Where to Register
· Bernalillo County Clerk’s Office Monday-Friday 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
· Secretary of State’s Office
· Any County Clerk’s Office in New Mexico
· Through a Third Party Registrant Agent
· Motor Vehicle Department, Human Services Department,
public libraries, colleges, universities, and at organized
voter registration drives
You may request an application for voter registration be sent to you by emailing email@example.com
, calling 505-468-1291 and selecting the Voter Registration option, or sending a letter to: Bernalillo County Clerk’s Office, One Civic Plaza, NW, Room 6022, Albuquerque, NM 87102.
How to Register
You must completely fill out an application for voter registration and sign it.
· Be sure to: Answer all questions, including the citizenship and age
· A Social Security Number and the address where you live are required
in order to register to vote in New Mexico. (P. O. Box addresses are
First Time Registrants
If you are registering for the first time in New Mexico, and you submit the registration form by mail, you must also submit a copy of
(1) a current and valid photo identification; or
(2) a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck,
student identification card or other government document, including
identification issued by an Indian nation, tribe or pueblo thatshows your
name and current address.
*If you do not submit one of these forms of identification with your mailed-in, first time registration, you will be required to present one of the forms of identification when voting in person or absentee.
Reasons why an application is rejected
· Social Security Number is not provided.
· The application is not signed.
· The citizenship and age boxes are not checked.
· A physical address or description of residence, such as a map or the
latitude/longitude is not provided
Rejected applications are returned to the applicant with a letter of rejection explanation and a blank application for voter registration.
When to Register
Voter registration applications can be submitted at any time. In order to be eligible to vote in an election, the County Clerk’s Office must receive the voter registration application no later than 5:00 p.m. on the 28th day before the election.