The peak mosquito season in this region starts now and runs through September, according to Bernalillo County’s Office of Health and Social Services.
West Nile virus, carried by infected mosquitoes, can cause disease in people, birds, horses and other animals. Most cases appear during August and September, state officials report.
Bernalillo County residents can report standing or stagnant water or request mosquito spraying for their neighborhood by calling 311 for response from the City of Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Vector Control Program.
Please call Bernalillo County’s Office of Health and Social Services at 505.314.0310 or download this West Nile virus flier
for more information.
Detailed information about this issue can be accessed via the New Mexico Department of Health here
Additional information from the Albuquerque Urban Biology Division can be viewed here
The state Department of Health has also recommended the following precautions to prevent the spread of West Nile virus:
To protect against West Nile:
Back to news list
- Use insect repellent on exposed skin and clothing when outdoors. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends using insect repellents containing DEET, Picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, or IR3535 for use on skin, and permethrin for use on clothing. Always follow label directions when using insect repellents.
- When weather permits, wear protective clothing such as loose-fitting, long-sleeved shirts, long pants and socks.
- The hours from dusk to dawn are peak biting times for mosquitoes. Take extra care to use repellent and protective clothing or avoid outdoor activities during these times.
- Eliminate water-holding containers where mosquitoes lay their eggs, such as empty buckets, flower pots and old tires. Regularly change the water in birdbaths, wading pools and pet water bowls. Make sure rain barrels are tightly screened.
- Keep windows and doors closed if not screened. When leaving your home’s doors or windows open, make sure they have screens that fit tightly and have no holes.