Updated: Nov. 30, 2017
The Bernalillo County Fleet and Facilities Department/Facilities Construction Program is currently assisting the Bernalillo County Animal Care Services Department in the construction of a new Animal Care and Resource Center at a site near 2nd and Woodward.
The new Animal Shelter will be a 17,143 square foot facility and will include,
- Space for approximately 115 dogs and approximately 25 cats,
- Animal recreation and isolation areas, and
- Operational space for the Animal Care Services Department, veterinary care, and support services.
The site near 2nd and Woodward was chosen after evaluating more than 15 potential properties. The site was selected because it met criteria that included;
- Close proximity to the South Valley, (About 90% of animals handled by the Animal Services Department originate from the South Valley.)
- Access for residents from other areas of the County, (This site is reasonably close to the freeway and main roads of Broadway and Rio Bravo for access.)
- Appropriate Zoning, (This property is zoned M-2)
- Project budget, (This property is within the budget restraints of the project.)
- Access to Sewer and Water, (A 1,300 foot sewer extension was built to Woodward street.)
- No Flood Plain or Environmental Restrictions.
The construction project will use General Obligation Bond money and is expected to cost about $7,500,000 including the land purchase. Construction began in the summer of 2017.
For more information about the Animal Care and Resource Center and regular updates, visit the Animal Care Services Department page.
General Project Information:
Status | Construction
NTP | August 1, 2017
Project Manager | Kerry Bassore
Design Consultant | BDA Architecture
Contractor | Richardson & Richardson
Construction Cost | $5,912,007
Duration | 318 days
Percent Complete | 20%
Project Contact Information: