Community Services

Frequently Asked Questions


Q. I want to hold a wedding on Open Space – is that possible?

A. Bernalillo County is not currently scheduling weddings on any Open Space properties. This is in order to minimize the impact on natural, historical, cultural, or agricultural resources. However, weddings can be scheduled at other County venues – see below.


Q. Do I need a permit/reservation for the activity I am planning on Open Space?

A. Reservations/permits are required if the activity:

  • Involves or is expected to involve more than 25 people
  • Occurs when the Open Space is closed to the public, or in any building on Open Space
  • Excludes members of the public from any portion of Open Space
  • Requires additional County services (opening/closing gates, utilities, fire/police, etc.)
  • Involves the sale of any good/service/food/beverage
  • Requires temporary or permanent structures (e.g. stage, fence, tent)
  • Involves a contest, competition, race, filming or performance
  • Uses amplified sound

For more details, see Sec. 58-55 of the Bernalillo County Code of Ordinances.


Q. How do I reserve an Open Space area or facility?

A. If you are interested in holding an activity, event, or meeting on Open Space that requires a permit/reservation, please email for more information.

Please note that outdoor areas on County Open Space and some of the facilities are open to the general public during established hours and cannot be “reserved” per se.

Bernalillo County will consider requests based on scheduling/staffing availability as well as their potential impacts and risks. Approval is based on those factors as well as timely payment of required fees.


Q. What other venues does Bernalillo County offer for my activity/event/meeting?

For outdoor use, Bernalillo County Parks are open to the public from sunrise to sunset. Please call (505) 314-0400 to request a Park Use Agreement for your event.

For indoor use, Bernalillo County Community Centers feature multi-purpose rooms, meeting rooms, commercial kitchens, stage areas, and gyms which can be reserved for a variety of public and private rentals. In addition, the Bernalillo County Visitor and Cultural Center (formerly Pajarito Satellite Senior Center Meal Site) on 6080 Isleta Blvd SW can be reserved by contacting Los Padillas Community Center.


Q. I saw something on Open Space that I would like to report. What can I do?

For non-emergency issues requiring law enforcement, call the Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office 24-hour non-emergency line at (505) 798-7000.

For land management issues such as trash or graffiti removal, call the Parks and Recreation Land Management office at (505) 224-2119.

For other general concerns with Open Space properties, call the Parks, Recreation and Open Space main desk at (505) 314-0400 or email


View All Events
Latest News
Community Services
  • In this workshop, we will use the ABQ Backyard Refuge Program (ABQ BRP) workbook and learn a myriad of ways the Bachechi Open Space might better support local plants and wildlife. Meet with the ABQ BRP team who will feature Bachechi Open Space as an example to demonstrate the first step in becoming a certified habitat – and in turn, be able to certify your own garden as a backyard refuge. Registration closes May 14.
    5/15/2021 9:00 AM - 5/15/2021 10:30 AM

  • Join us May 21 - July 31 for a taste of local history through the outdoor exhibit along the agricultural fields on the grounds of Gutiérrez Hubbell House History & Cultural Center, a Bernalillo County Open Space located at 6029 Isleta Blvd SW. The exhibit invites visitors to explore the varied origins and paths to New Mexico of key elements in our local foods. We’ll examine Pueblo agricultural trade and innovation, the impact of Spanish colonization on local crops and foods, and the influence of changing technology on what ingredients are available to New Mexicans. The exhibit tells the story of how generations of farmers and cooks adopted, adapted, and embraced foods from around the globe to create the unique and recognizable flavors that New Mexicans treasure as our local culinary traditions. The exhibit is located outdoors along the agricultural fields, with ample spacing. Downloadable and print guides for self-led tours will be available for those who wish to explore the exhibit alone or with a small group. On-site parking is available dawn-to-dusk, 7 days a week. Check online for updates about free reservations for guided tours of the exhibit and Gutiérrez Hubbell House. Museum hours and tour availability subject to change, in compliance with covid-safe practices. The exhibit will be accompanied by programs provided either online or in hybrid forms that allow digital participation. All Bernalillo County Open Spaces are responding flexibly in the face of changing COVID-19 conditions and public health orders. We will share updated information on site-specific practices and restrictions on this page and recommend you check back before attending the exhibit. The museum and grounds are ADA compliant and NM-Safe Certified. As conditions and restrictions related to COVID-19 change, updated information can be found at both the exhibit website and https:/ You can also find the link to our video on Open Space outdoor etiquette during COVID-19 at these locations or on the BernCo YouTube channel. Please call 505-314-0400 for more information or to request accommodation.
    Gutierrez-Hubbell House History and Cultural Center, 6029 Isleta SW
    5/21/2021 12:00 AM - 7/31/2021 12:00 AM

  • Are you fascinated by the weather? Learn how to stay safe and be prepared. Join National Weather Service of Albuquerque Meteorologist who will teach the basics of severe local storms. This incredible two-hour workshop includes training about thunderstorms, flash floods, downburst winds, tornadoes, and more. This event is part of the volunteer SKYWARN weather spotters and volunteers training for the Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network (CoCoRaHS). Registration closes May 21.
    5/22/2021 9:00 AM - 5/22/2021 11:00 AM

Powered by Real Time Solutions - Website Design & Document Management